Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Multi-cultural realization

Sometimes, I am very bored. I sit at my desk, staring at my computer screen while wondering what I should do. I sit, I stare, and I wonder for quite some time. This situation happens every day. Most of my day is spent by myself, so I think about that boredom rather often. Today, this thought came into my mind:

I woke up and ate breakfast by myself.

I went to class with 10 other students; 9 girls, 1 guy. 1 girl from Tasmania, 1 from Bulgaria, 1 from Japan, 1 from Belarus, 1 from Italy, 1 from Iowa, 2 from Slovenia, and 1 other girl with her husband from Iran.

I ate lunch at a table with 7 girls and 2 guys. 1 girl from Bulgaria, 1 girl from Tasmania, 1 girl from Italy, 1 girl from Finland, 2 girls from Slovenia, 1 girl from Iowa, 1 guy from Finland, and 1 guy from Italy.

I attended an intercultural workshop this afternoon with too many people to count from Italy, Slovenia, Finland, Japan, Bulgaria, Iowa, Tasmania, Kansas, Turkey, and Croatia.

Tonight, my roommate from India cooked an Indian dinner for 5 of us. 2 from Iowa, 2 from Albania, and 1 from Italy.

If you add all of that up, you get 13 different countries and too many languages to count, in just one day.

Sometimes I sit at my desk, wondering and staring. Sometimes, during my wondering, I ask myself, "How could I ever be bored in such a place where it is possible to share my day with so many different countries, languages, and cultures?" How many of you get to speak English, German, Spanish, Italian, Albanian, Japanese, and Hindi in one day? How could I ever be bored?

That was my realization today. It's nothing too important, just a neat little thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment