Friday, January 29, 2010

Österreich

I made it. I took 1 car, 6 trains, and 10 hours to get here. The train rides were short, which was good, but there were so many of them. Every 2 hours or so, I would switch to a new train at a new station. I arrived at the Salzburg Haupbahnhof about an hour ago. Then, I realized the directions I wrote down to the hostel were terrible. I was lost. I truly had no clue where to go. The only thing I knew was the street name, but apparently the streets aren't labeled here like they are in other places. I was walking aimlessly through the streets of Salzburg asking people if they knew where the street was, but nobody did. So I was walking, and I was trying to remember the diagram in my head of the directions on the website. It was left out of the station, then left at the gas station, then under the bridge, then right on some street, and finally right again on some other street. That was what I could remember. At the time I remember it, though, I had taken a left and a right and some more turns. I was lost. I had to go to the bathroom too. So, I did what I do when I don't know what to do. I said, "God, I'm lost. I have no clue where I am or where I'm going. Please help." I was walking as I was saying this. I came to the end of the street I was walking on, and I looked up because I saw for the first time a street sign. It said Parcelsusstraße. That's the name of the street I was looking for. I walked one block down, and there stood my hostel. Some of you might think, "Wow, what a lucky guy." Some of you may even think, "Oh my goodness, that's like an answered prayer or something." Both of those are kind of right, but seeing that street sign was so much more than an answered prayer. That street sign was a reminder of a promise. It was a promise that even though I'd left YWAM, my favorite place ever, God was still with me. He does not leave me, and He does not only stay in places like castles and storefronts. He is with you always. I am happy, and I'm tired. There are a lot of people downstairs at some kind of party, and they're playing Bon Jovi. Four of them are staying in this room with me. I've never seen them before, but I can imagine they are going to be coming in late and being quite loud. I need to get to deep sleep before that happens. I'm so happy I'm finally in this country. Sunday is my next day of travel. Who knows what tomorrow will be like. Bis Morgen.

2 comments: